Baseball Starts Season with a Hit

+Senior+Emilio+Flores+throws+a+pitch+during+a+5-0+win+over+Mills.

Senior Emilio Flores throws a pitch during a 5-0 win over Mills.

Mark Habelt, Staff Reporter

A red-hot Burlingame team has showcased a talented lineup early on this season, bringing attention to an offense that struggled to produce many runs last year. Heading into Friday’s game at King’s Academy, the Panthers carry a 4-1 record (2-0 at the Peninsula Athletic League championships), having scored 34 runs on 41 hits.

To begin the 2019 campaign, the Panthers easily took care of Mt. Eden and Mills with two combined shutouts. Sophomore Noah Larkin started the season opener and looked comfortable for four innings, hitting his spots accurately and displaying a sharp velocity. With plenty of rest following an injury scare to his arm, senior Emilio Flores started versus Mills and mowed down the Vikings, demonstrating why he was the projected ace throughout the offseason.

26 hours after the Mills game, the Panthers suffered a tough walk-off loss against rival San Mateo, which was caused by a two-base throwing error. However, the Panthers rebounded with a dominant sweep of Sacred Heart Preparatory (SHP) in two consecutive blowouts: 11-4 and 7-2. The offensive juggernaut rolled over SHP pitching; even former Burlingame Youth Baseball Association standout Parker Isaacson, who started the second game of the series, could not stop the Panther offense.

Following the King’s Academy series, the Panthers will face El Camino, Terra Nova (twice) and Aragon next week.