San Mateo Public Library to host first ever Club Gala

Throughout the year, clubs have several opportunities to showcase their organization on campus such as Club Fair Week and the International Cultural Fair. This year, the Burlingame Public Library is providing BHS students with one more opportunity to exhibit their clubs. On March 24, the Burlingame Public Library will be hosting the first Club Gala. The event will take place at 5 p.m. and will host various clubs and organizations.

“The goal was to give the teen student groups more exposure to the community and vice versa and to create a stronger connection between the library and the high school and also the community we serve,” said Kim Day, the Children’s Librarian and one of the organizers of the event. “We’re going in the direction of … being more outward focused and looking at what people are doing outside of the library and how we can showcase it here.”

Day further expressed her enthusiasm for the event saying, “We’re calling it a showcase, and I think it’s going to be really great. I mean, I know community members love seeing when teens are working on different things, even if it’s a book group at school, they just love seeing that teens are working together.”

The Burlingame Public Library has indeed extended the invitation to many community members. An invitation has been extended to the Burlingame City Council and the department heads from different departments in Burlingame. Furthermore, online and paper advertisements have been passed out, and the library plans to invite local businesses to attend.

Many clubs at BHS are excited to have the opportunity to exhibit the work they have invested in throughout the year. Junior Kimberly Wang discussed how the Gala will benefit the organization she is apart of, saying “Because my club is a new club, Team HBV at Burlingame High School, I think this gala is a great opportunity to spread awareness and acknowledgement that our club exists. I also think it is a great way to educate our community on the diseases that affect minorities.”