Julian Martinez

October 5, 2022

Julian Martinez was born in Nicaragua and came to America at the age of 15 knowing very little English, yet he preserved and went through college, eventually becoming a teacher. (Lizzy Wan)

At just 15 years old, Julian Martinez fled his war-torn home country of Nicaragua as a refugee.

“It was very difficult,” Martinez said. “You have to grow up fast — you don’t have time to be a teenager and do the things most teenagers do. It force[s] you to become an adult when you’re a child.” 

Prior to moving to the U.S., Martinez spoke very little English. But when he arrived, school required him to quickly learn the language. He continued his education by attending college in Connecticut and San Diego. 

“Since I struggled to get my education, I sympathize with students, minority students, who are struggling with their education mostly because we don’t have the support system from our families,” Martinez said.

Eventually, Martinez graduated college — the first in his family to do so — and he did it all by himself. Despite the many obstacles along the way, Martinez was and is fueled by curiosity and a desire to pursue the unknown.

Now, as a teacher at Burlingame, Martinez is able to use his story to inspire students and show them that they, too, can push through challenging circumstances.

“Being a teacher alone is being a role model,” Martinez said.

Students see that you can become anything, a teacher or a counselor or a professional, and not just the stereotypical jobs for Hispanic people.

“I want to be a role model for minority students so they can be inspired to overcome any obstacles they have,” Martinez said. 

When living in Nicaragua, Martinez celebrated Independence Day on Sept. 15 with parades, flowers, and white and blue decorations. At Burlingame, he gets to share these traditions with students throughout the year.

“Teaching a language is not just teaching grammar, it is about teaching culture as well,” Martinez said. “We don’t just celebrate in September, but we celebrate the whole year.”