Junior Mia Robelo ends the half-time routine with a smile as the cheer squad practices in preparation for the upcoming away game.
Iny Li

New year, new coach: cheer squad returns more spirited than ever

New varsity cheer coach Kayla Clark is determined to start the year strong by strategically assessing the team’s skill set through rigorous stunt drills, choreographs, and consistent practice of their halftime routines to ensure perfection. Since the beginning of summer, the varsity captains prepared the junior varsity cheer squad through thorough conditioning for the school year with stunt practices and introduction to cheers, while the varsity cheer squad regularly weight-trained to stay active.

As the school year progresses, the cheerleaders are working hard to prepare for their events. For the first football game against Half Moon Bay High School on Friday, Aug. 30, the squad put the different pieces of their halftime routine into motion. With the help of varsity co-captains Jasmine Pineda and Jordyn Nawrocki, plus JV and varsity captains Sofia Crosina and Annie Conway, Clark looks forward to challenging the cheer squad by introducing a more difficult routine in preparation for the Little Big Game on Nov. 9.

“After every game, the goal is to build multiple sections of the Little Big Game routine and showcase the most difficult and challenging routine we have during the half-time show of Little Big Game,” Clark said. “Cheer is a build-as-you-go sport, so we have all season to prepare with multiple mini routines throughout each week, but Little Big Game is really their chance to showcase the most elite stunts they can do.”

The varsity cheer squad finds their footing as they practice one of their multiple stunts that will be performed on Friday, Aug. 30.

Crosina emphasizes the importance of creating a strong bond between the cheerleaders as practices and football games begin to ramp up.

“There’s been a lot of bad attitude surrounding our team, whether that be mindset or the coaches we’ve had, but this year is a clean slate for everyone,” Crosina said. “We have a new coach again, but I can tell this coach wants the best for us as a team. I want us to be more connected and focused at practice. I want us to be mindful and in the moment of what we’re doing and [work hard] to do great at halftime.”

For Clark, the appreciation from the community has positively shaped her experience as the new head coach, and she is thankful for her fellow coaching staff, parents, and athletes for the warm welcome as they kick off the season.

“I’ve just been able to get to know the squad more and more in the past two weeks,” Clark said. “There’s a lot of really good talent amongst the team, and all the girls have been working really hard the past few weeks.”

$925
$1000