Legally blonde musical review

Amelia Harris, Editor-In-Chief

Omigod, omigod you guys, “Legally Blonde,” with catchy songs, amazing choreography and creative sets wowed audience members on its opening night, Friday, Oct. 19. Directed by Cindy Skelton, Elle Woods (Suzanna Longworth) starts out as a seemingly “dumb blond.”  

“Throughout the course of the show she develops into something more than just her hair,” Longworth said.

At the start of the show, Elle is the president of Delta Nu sorority at UCLA and ready for her boyfriend Warner Huntington III (Lucas Gilmour) to propose. To her surprise, he breaks up with her, saying he wants someone serious as he gets ready for law school and his future career path as a senator. The scene is able to inject a little humor, as Warner consoles Elle, he gets down on one knee, causing her to cry harder, but earning a laugh from the audience. Determined to win the love of her life back and prove to him that she is serious, Elle chases Warner to Harvard and the musical follows her trials and tribulations as a law student and her budding romance with fellow law student Emmett Forrest (Eric Broman).

The interaction between cast members both on and offstage is dynamic, though Elle portrays her anger towards various characters during the show vividly, before rehearsal they all hang out in a group, talking and joking with one another.

“The underclassmen are extremely talented this year, like one of the most talented freshman grades I’ve seen, I’m glad that we’re leaving the show in good hands,” Gilmour said.

The crew’s dedication to making the show run smoothly is evident. The show starts with the Delta Nu sorority house and changes to a hair salon, Elle’s room, a trailer park and a courtroom, to name a few. The crew, the backbone of the show, has spent almost three weeks in rehearsals with the cast.

“Getting to feel like you’re part of the show, even though you can’t sing, and still getting to know the people,” sophomore Kyra Schlezinger said in regard to her favorite part about being a crew member.

With catchy songs such as “Gay or European,” a cast favorite due to the humorous lyrics, as well as “Blood in the Water” and “Whipped Into Shape” all played by the pit orchestra consisting of Burlingame High School students, the score alone will be stuck in your head for days. Overall the show was well produced, although off-key at times, the actors seem to understand their characters and are believable. The subtle jokes throughout the show, occasionally corny but nevertheless funny, had the audience cracking up.