Panthers soundly beat Mustangs 72-49

Conner Lyons

Sophomore Sean Richardson gets a screen from junior Stasios Pantazis as he drives to the basket.

Conner Lyons, Staff Reporter

After a strong start to the 2020 season the Panthers made a statement last Friday night against Capuchino high school. They defeated the Mustangs 72-49 in a dominant performance by the entire team.

“We came to play, our entire team was focused and it showed,” said sophomore guard Sean Richardson.

They stormed out to an early lead (19-7) by the end of the first quarter, with the help of a pair of threes by Will Uhrich and an additional three from Miles Klapper. In addition to the quick burst of points from Klapper, their defense was stifling, letting up a meager seven points over the quarter.

In the second quarter the score evened out, as the Mustangs kept it close (15-12). However, the Panthers still won the quarter and took a 36-19 lead into halftime.

“We had a strong first half due to our preparation before, we were focused and it showed” sophomore guard Miles Klapper said. 

After the focused start, the Panthers kept pushing and turned out their best offensive quarter of the game, scoring 24 points over the third period. 

“Once we got up we wanted to keep the foot on the gas” said sophomore Lou Martineau. 

Foot on the gas the Panthers did, as four players scored in double figures (Will Uhrich, Miles Klapper, Jacob Yamigishi, and Lou Martineau).

In the fourth quarter, coach Dowd implemented some of the reserves, which excited the student section. Chants for a class favorite Stasios Pantazis were heard vibrantly throughout the 4th quarter, along with a series of other pro-Burlingame cheers. 

The crowd’s enthusiasm was nice to see, especially following some controversy over chants at the game against Mills High School The crowd’s enthusiasm was nice to see, especially following some controversy over chants at the game against Mills High School several weeks before.

In all, the Panthers secured a 72-49 statement win over the Capuchino Mustangs, in a game that showed off the potential for the young Panthers squad on both sides of the ball.