Girls’ Volleyball

August 29, 2022

(From left to right) Senior Mallory Nowitzky, juniors Morgan Toomey, and Madison Langlais prepare to receive a serve in their practice on Aug. 19. (Michelle Moshkovoy)

Emma Madden, Kristi Lee and Keegan Boyse were at the helm of last season’s CCS Division III championship team (26-7, 12-2 PAL Bay Division). While they’ll be sorely missed, the team retains a squad of talented players with championship experience. 

Junior Morgan Toomey and sophomore Ella Duong were No. 2 and No. 3 in total kills last year, with 202 and 188 respectively. Even with the loss of Madden, who totaled the most kills, that leaves the team with serious offensive strength.

New Head Coach Nga Tran has difficult decisions to make about her rotation. She has four reliable outside hitters: Toomey, Duong, junior Madison Langlinais and senior Mallory Nowitzki, but can only have two at those positions on the court. It’s a good problem to have and one to solve during the preseason.  

The loss of Boyse, a reliable middle blocker, also leaves big shoes to fill for sophomore Abbi Aufhauser and senior Sasha Grett.

Winning the Bay Division over defending champions Hillsdale High School isn’t unrealistic with the talent and depth on Burlingame’s side of the net. However, the team is going to need time to gel and find their footing.