Ayden West

November 1, 2022

Senior Ayden West has faced struggles figuring out who she is growing up in a conservative area but has faced so much positivity ever since living in California and is an active member of the GSA club. (Natalie Gyde)

Senior Ayden West is an active member of Burlingame’s GSA club and because she identifies with the LGBTQ community, she feels strongly about the history of this month. 

Raised in a more conservative area, West struggled to feel comfortable with her identity and sexuality around loved ones. Throughout her childhood, being queer was portrayed negatively.

“You get the message that it’s not a good thing, not something to be proud of,” West said. 

But since moving to California, West has grown comfortable with herself and welcomed by those around her. Now, West aspires to learn more about LGBTQ history and the activists that came before her.

“When BTV gives a shout out to a historical figure, I will follow those up and do more reading into that and just kind of educate myself on historical figures,” West said. 

West knows what it is like to feel unseen and unheard; as a result, it’s important to her that powerful LGBTQ role models are recognized and celebrated throughout the month.

“It sends the message to kids, especially those who aren’t very comfortable with their identity or don’t feel safe, that there are people like them that exist,” West said. “And I think it’s so important for queer youth to have examples of queer adults,” 

As this month begins to wrap up, it is still important to keep the rights that queer individuals had to fight for fresh on minds. 

“And I hope that over the years, things just get better and better for kids like me here,” West said.