Sawyer Fair

November 1, 2022

Senior Sawyer Fair is president of the Gay-Straight Alliance club and ensures that her club stays actively involved with students’ lives, along with herself. (Natalie Gyde)

Senior Sawyer Fair is president of the GSA Club, and she feels both a strong personal connection with the month and an obligation to share the powerful history with students.

Fair and the GSA club ran a few events to commemorate this month. Fair included as many students as possible while spreading the history of the fight for LGBTQ rights.

“People at school might not even know about it. So it’s definitely not enough of a mainstream thing,” Fair said. “We’re going to try and make more of an effort to have just more events so that the GSA stays in the front of people’s minds.” 

Fair hopes to build on her club’s success over the past month.

“I think we got the ball rolling with just student support for the LGBTQ community at our school, and I really just want to continue the awareness and excitement,” Fair said. 

While Fair did not face any backlash from loved ones when figuring out who she was, she is still able to empathize with those who are not as fortunate as she was. Which is the reason why she puts so much work into ensuring that other students are able to experience what she was able to. 

“[Burlingame] has a long way to go in terms of cultivating an actual supportive community,” Fair said.