Group C – Alex

November 22, 2022

Theo Au-Yeung

Argentina enters Group C as favorites followed by a tie between Mexico and Poland.

Argentina , Mexico , Poland , Saudi Arabia

One spot of this group is all but guaranteed to go to Argentina, and the other should be a battle between Poland and Mexico. Argentina is one of the best teams in the world right now, if not the best, and have perhaps the game’s greatest player of all time, Lionel Messi. This is Messi’s last chance to be a major player on an Argentine team who could win the World Cup; with their strength and 36-match unbeaten streak, they should stroll to the top of the group. The battle for second place is much more interesting here. Poland is resting their hopes on another great player, Robert Lewandowski. Despite the Polish striker’s prolific goal-scoring record, he has yet to perform for Poland at the World Cup, as they fell out of the World Cup in Russia with no goals from Lewandowski. If he can score, Poland will go through, but that’s a big if. Mexico is a very different team to Poland. The fast-paced, traditionally sound team has been undergoing some turmoil recently as they lost three matches to the U.S. in 2022. Fans have been calling for the firing of manager Tata Martino. Despite the unrest, expect Mexican stars like Hirving Lozano to play a fast, aggressive style that could push them past Poland. Saudi Arabia expected to go 0-3, so even getting a result out of any of these matches would be a triumph for them. The Mexico-Poland matchup will likely be the crucial game in Group C.