Charlotte Chan

December 12, 2022

During the winter season, when the likelihood of rain is high, Chan opts for comfortable jackets and adds accessories to enhance her personality. (Ruby Rosenquist)

Sophomore Charlotte Chan, a lifeguard and swimming instructor at the Burlingame Aquatic Center, is an up and coming influencer according to her friends. 

Her casual wardrobe appears simple at first glance, however it is anything but basic. Each morning, she makes sure to look at the weather forecast before picking an outfit. During the winter season, when the likelihood of rain is high, she opts for comfortable jackets and adds accessories to enhance her personality. 

“Wearing something cozy makes me feel good,” Chan said. “Going to school is about being practical and not drawing attention.”

According to Chan, pants are step number one. Although they are a very basic clothing item, they can make or break the look. A good pair of pants, whether that be jeans or sweats, piece the outfit together in a way that balances simplicity with comfort. 

“Black, white and gray are my typical colors,” Chan said. “They are kind of bland but they are easy to play with, which makes my outfits [consistent] all year.”

She gets inspiration from big social media platforms such as Instagram and TikTok. As someone who is very active on these apps, she knows what’s happening at Burlingame. Her style choices reflect her dedication to staying up to date on the latest trends. 

“I love shopping,” Chan said. “Online shopping at Zara, Emmiol and YesStyle is my go-to.”   

Even though she pays attention to fashion trends on a broader scale, her motivation comes from a more closely-knit community: her friend group at school. 

“Friends are great people to depend on,” Chan said. “It is really nice to have a unique style within a friend group because it gives you a special quality that makes you stand out from others.”