Divisional Round

January 14, 2023

Niners and Eagles advance. (Jackson Spenner)

Eagles (1) vs Cowboys (5)

The Cowboys-Eagles divisional rivalry is historic, so this matchup will be all the rage. The Eagles started off the season 8-0 and continued to prove that they were among the best offenses in the league even after dropping a game to a mediocre Washington Commanders team. They have tailed off slightly since then, but largely only due to the injury of their MVP-caliber quarterback, Jalen Hurts, who will return after their first-round bye. The Cowboys have been an incredible sight to watch at times this season, but their volatility will have to come back to bite them at some point. The Eagles’ defensive back duo in Darius Slay and James Bradberry should be able to expose Dak Prescott’s inconsistencies, so look to see some late-game drama to give the Eagles momentum.

Prediction: Eagles 26 – 18 Cowboys

49ers (2) vs Giants (6)

Everyone seems to be asking, “When will Brock Purdy’s magic end?” It would be no surprise if this is the game where the lights get too bright; however, the 49ers’ suffocating defense has proven to be more than capable of picking up any offensive slack. The New York Giants are unimpressive on offense, with a bottom-tier receiving core and a middle-of-the-pack quarterback in Daniel Jones. They do, however, have a dynamic playmaker in running back Saquon Barkley. If anyone can stop the fourth-best rusher in the league, it’s San Francisco’s front seven, captained by All-Pro linebacker Fred Warner. Expect a low-scoring game with an impressive show of the universal ‘bend don’t break‘ defensive principle that the Niners have effectively showcased in 2022.

Prediction: Niners 17 – Giants 7

Bills and Chiefs advance. (Jackson Spenner)

Chiefs (1) vs Jaguars (4)

After their (predicted) first playoff win since 2017, The Jaguars will be riding high and looking to reach the Conference Championship just as they did that season. However, in their way will be former MVP Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes. Despite losing star receiver Tyreek Hill, Mahomes has not skipped a beat and he will undoubtedly cook the Jaguars defense. On the other hand, Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence is turnover-prone, fourth in the NFL with thirteen fumbles. This could get ugly for Jacksonville.

Prediction: Chiefs 41 – 14 Jaguars 

Bills (2) vs Bengals (3)

The two teams that faced off in the canceled game with Damar Hamlin’s cardiac arrest will play again in the best matchup of the divisional round. The Bills will be motivated to perform after the traumatic incident and their offense may be too much to bear for the Bengals’ defense. The Bengals have one of the best offenses in the NFL, but their weakness is the offensive line, which may run into trouble against a stout Bills defensive line. Anticipate this game to go down to the wire, with the Bills winning on a game-winning touchdown drive and defensive turnover to close the lid.

Prediction: Bills 27 – 25 Bengals