Conference Championship

January 14, 2023

Bills and Eagles advance. (Jackson Spenner)

49ers (2) vs Eagles (1)

The two most physical teams in the NFL will face off to take home the NFC crown. These teams are similar to each other in many ways: both teams have potent offenses, clever head coaches and multifaceted rushing attacks. The top receivers on each team are both famed for their physicality and strength, while the second receivers have similar play styles centered on route-running expertise. San Francisco and Philadelphia also have incredible defenses who are first and second in the NFL, respectively. Where these teams differ is in their quarterback play. While Brock Purdy has impressed, Jalen Hurts has morphed into a star trademarked by elite athleticism and mobility. Historically, the Niners have struggled to contain running quarterbacks, which may come back to bite them late into the playoffs.

Prediction: Eagles 38 – 30 49ers

Chiefs (1) vs Bills (2) 

This will be a rematch of last year’s divisional matchups, in which the Chiefs won 42-36 in what many called the greatest NFL game of all time. In the most anticipated matchup of the playoffs, expect more of the same. More impact of the Damar Hamlin incident finds its way into this game as well, which will take place in a neutral setting. Neither team will have a home-field advantage, which is an unfortunate disadvantage for two teams that have incredible fan representation and game atmosphere.

Prediction: Bills 57 – 54 Chiefs