Girls’ Softball

February 28, 2023

Senior Nora Leslie works on her swing with senior Emmi Cate in the girls’ varsity softball practice on Wednesday, Feb. 22. (Athena Bostonmaer)

After having an underclassmen-heavy roster and a 7-16-1 overall record last season, girls’ varsity softball is back and expecting improvement this season. Practice officially started on Feb. 1, but many players on the team conditioned and trained during the offseason.

Now, the team is hard at work with a packed practicing schedule, on the field six times a week.

This year, head coach John Saucedo has made it a point to be stricter on conditioning, starting off each practice with cardio-oriented exercises, including running on the track. On the softball field, most practices consist of quality reps of pitching and batting, as well as running drills where players cycle through their different positions to hone their skills for games.

Saucedo and the softball team are optimistic for their fast-approaching season opener against El Camino High School on March 1.

With a competitive line-up and hard-working team, the future of varsity softball shines bright.