Boys’ Lacrosse

February 28, 2023

Boys’ varsity lacrosse practices their passing skills in the rain at the beginning of practice on Thursday, Feb. 23. (Jake Rothstein)

Boys’ lacrosse expects to reestablish its strength this season, after last year’s young roster finished with a 4-11 overall record. This season, the team is made up primarily of experienced seniors and led by new coach Logan Brown — and they are ready to make a splash in the PAL Bay Division.

“We didn’t have a lot of seniors — maybe three or four — and they were a big help; showing us the ropes on how to be a leader next year,” said senior Archer Grenier, an attacker. “Now we are really senior heavy.”

To help the team improve its skill set, Brown has been focusing on high-repetition passing drills, and said he has already seen results in the three weeks of practice Burlingame has had so far.

The program has also seen a large jump in roster size, with a total of 49 players —  21 on varsity and 28 on junior varsity. The number is a seismic increase from last year, when many players did not return after the pandemic.

The team will play its first game against Junipero Serra High School — now coached by Burlingame’s prior head coach, Ryan Bolanos — at home on Feb. 28. With a formidable roster and plenty to fight for, expect the Panthers to put up a good fight.