Track and Field

February 28, 2023

Athletes round the track to warm up during practice on Wednesday, Feb. 22. Runners have a couple of weeks to prepare and condition for the first meet of the season. (Zachary Newman)

The track and field program will look to continue building on team success from last year when it sent eight runners to the CCS trials, three of whom advanced to the CCS finals.

It won’t be easy to replace last year’s senior stars Will Uhrich, Davis Grundmann, Carson Robenalt and Kylie Holzman, but head coach Chris Coleman is confident his younger athletes can make the leap and pick up right where the program left off.

Juniors Avah Reichow and Cora Haggarty, who were standouts last season, return and join senior Romer Rosales-Hasek as seasoned leaders for the inexperienced younger runners. Reichow and Haggarty both finished in the top five during the 2022 CCS finals, and Rosales-Hasek earned a berth to the CCS championship after finishing fourth in qualifying. 

Coleman has repeatedly stressed the importance of team results over individual accomplishments in practice. According to Coleman, the primary focus will be working to get as many runners to CCS as possible, and having multiple athletes place in the top five. 

Before the team’s first regular season meet on March 14, Coleman has prioritized working on conditioning to increase stamina and avoid injuries. With younger runners on the frosh-soph level exceeding expectations last year, excitement and anticipation should continue to intensify as the program prepares for competition.