The spring musical was far from a ‘Disaster!’

Jake Rothstein

Elizabeth Diehl (Left) and Lukas Keeley (Right) smile affectionately at one another as they sing during one of the final scenes.

Ruby Rosenquist, Staff Reporter

On Thursday Mar. 10, the opening night of “Disaster!,” the groovy atmosphere, mimicking that of the 1970s, blossomed as New York’s hottest A-listers strutting onto the stage wearing colorful maxi dresses and festively patterned peasant blouses. A disco star, a nightclub singer and her eleven-year-old twins, a feminist reporter, an older couple, a pair of young guys searching for ladies, an untrustworthy businessman, a nun with a gambling addiction and a disaster expert waited restlessly to board the boat as the audience inched forward, anxious to see what this eclectic cast of characters would do next.

What began as a night of dancing to disco music and betting on slot machines soon became a disaster as earthquakes, tidal waves, infernos and man-eating piranhas created disarray on deck. When a major tidal wave hit and the ship flipped upside down, the passengers were forced to find a way to escape. They soon realized that there was a trapdoor on the ceiling and snatched life jackets to float to safety.

While the charmingly handsome Chad Rubik, embodied by sophomore Nico Bennett, playfully twisted the chord on his old-fashioned rotary dial phone, students and family gathered in the Burlingame auditorium to watch the spring musical unfold. Within seconds, Bennett brought the theater alive with his passionate hip thrusts and strong vocals, briefly obscuring the doom looming overhead. 

Although the discothèque quickly succumbed to multiple incidents, the colorful set design remained an innovative motif throughout the production. The warm-hued backdrops paid homage to the funky aesthetic of the ‘70s, making what once was antique look hip. 

“I really liked the [set] because of the vibrant colors and hand-painted details,” junior and adamant theater-goer Natalie DeMartini said. “It was fascinating how the crew was able to move all of the set pieces like flipping the boat upside down and really making it look like a disaster hit.”

The era fully came alive when junior Elizabeth Diehl, performing as the nightclub singer Jackie Noelle, delivered her rendition of “Saturday Night” by the Bay City Rollers. As Diehl nailed her complex vocals, it became evident that the funky set and costume designs were not the only things that could blow the audience away. 

All 11 supporting characters execute the iconic dance moves that make “Disaster!” one of a kind. (Jake Rothstein)

Following Diehl’s energetic performance, the audience observed as Marianne, played by junior Taryn Hallum, revealed an alternate side of her identity. At first, the feminist reporter’s motivation was to expose the captain’s corrupt safety tactics. But when she runs into her ex-fiancé Chad, Marianne realizes she has a much greater purpose on the floating casino. The auditorium heard Hallum’s beautiful voice for the first time in her two and a half years at Burlingame when she sang “I Am Woman/That’s The Way I’ve Always Heard It Should Be” — joined by sophomore Clo Papadogonas as Ben/Lisa who refused to disappoint a captivated audience.

“I would have to say that my favorite characters were Jackie and Marianne,” DeMartini said. “I went to the show three times and each and every night they blew me away.”

Unlike Marianne’s complex personality, Maury and Shirley Summers’ romance, depicted effortlessly by junior Emmanuel Pubien and senior Ayden West, left me dreaming. While they admit that marriage is difficult, it is easy to tell that they love each other dearly. The way Pubien carried West in his arms right before Shirley’s death is only one example of how they feel toward one another. 

Even in the presence of death, dancing acted as a catalyst for positivity. The six Barracuda Dancers, who rattled the stage with their fancy footwork, lightened the mood immensely. Without their vibrant dance moves, the production would not be complete. One dancer in particular who stood out was freshman Gina Saccuman. Her immaculate musicality and attention to detail added an extra touch of flair to this year’s musical.

“I oftentimes prefer the musicals over the plays because there is dancing, singing and dialogue,” said DeMartini. “This production was so fun especially with all of the tap dancing and ‘70s hits.”

Alongside the rest of this fantastic cast was Josie Fontana as Sister Mary Downey. Sister Mary feels guilty for practically drooling over a “Hawaii-5-0” -themed slot machine but struggles to walk away from her gambling addiction, singing “Never Can Say Goodbye” in honor of her love for the game. The crowd erupted when Fontana flawlessly executed the song, leaving the catchy tune stuck in my head long after the musical ended.

“A song that was amazing was ‘Never Can Say Goodbye’, sung by Josie Fontana. I was also very impressed by the incredible harmony that Elizabeth Diehl and Clo Papadogonas executed flawlessly during their last show,” said DeMartini. “Overall, it was such a vibrant and lively show… I loved every second of it!”