Varsity softball triumphs against non-league rival Terra Nova

Athena Bostonmaer

Junior Lily Grenier bats during a game against Terra Nova High School on Monday, April 17.

Athena Bostonmaer, Staff Reporter

On Monday, April 18, the varsity softball team (4-6 overall, 1-6 PAL Bay) defeated Terra Nova High School during a non-league game with a final score of 10-0.

After suffering several late inning losses this season, the Panthers were victorious over the Tigers, a lower division rival from the PAL Ocean. The shut-out win served as a morale boost for Burlingame, especially as they battle it out in the tougher PAL Bay. 

“It was nice to play them because hopefully everyone feels better about their level of play and can carry that into our future games,” junior Lily Grenier said.

Although the team was consistent in its batting throughout the entire game, senior Emmi Cate delivered a notable double walk-off to end the final inning. 

“I was really happy to see that Emmi got our walk-off hit at the end to send us home. It was nice,” Grenier said. 

Pitcher Kasey Lyons has also been a crucial member of the team throughout the season, taking the mound in all ten of the Panthers’ games thus far. At both Burlingame’s season opener and the recent game against the Tigers, Lyons pitched shutouts.

“Kasey’s pitching was steady, she pitched a good game, she stayed ahead of a lot of batters, and I think that was important,” head coach John Saucedo said.

Other pivotal players included sophomores Giana Johnson and Grenier. Johnson had 2 hits and 4 RBIs, and Grenier delivered 3 hits and 1 RBI.

“This team lost four games by one run,” Saucedo said. “I’m really happy that their attitude is still to win, keep getting better and have fun.”

Despite the team’s mixed results in league, alongside the challenges posed by several weather-related game cancellations, the Panthers remain optimistic in their quest for a CCS berth.

“We’ve got a lot of kids working hard, and they deserve going on to another level, and that’s CCS,” Saucedo said.