Caffe Stellato

May 22, 2023

Ellie Neuman

Restaurant owner Malik Zughayar stands inside his Cafe in the middle of a busy work day.

Caffe Stellato isn’t just an Italian gelato parlor, a candy store, a sandwich shop or a coffee spot — it’s all of that, and more. But none of that happens without the man behind the multi-faceted new locale on  Burlingame Avenue, owner Malik Zughayar. He often starts his work days at 6 a.m., making preparations to open the restaurant.

“I have to go to buy the produce and get the bread from San Francisco, and [get back] between eight and nine,” Zughayar said. “Prepare [the restaurant] before the opening, and then open and wait for the people to come.”

Hard work pays off, as Zughayar and the rest of the chefs and employees are rewarded with lines piling up on Saturday nights with people anxiously awaiting a scoop of one of the 42 flavors of creamy, homemade Italian gelato, locally made by an Italian chef with 40 years of experience.

Located on Burlingame Avenue near the train station, the authentic cafe and deli also serves a wide variety of food. The cheese and meat in their sandwiches are sourced from Italy, and they know how to cater to their local audience (one of their specialty sandwiches is called the “BHS special”, which includes a selection of one choice of meat and one choice of cheese).  

“I want [customers] to be happy all the time,” Zughayar said. “Happy from whatever they buy from here — gelato, food or candy — we want to make them happy.”

Along with their menu, the ambiance of Caffe Stellato does not fail to please customers. The walls are painted with gelato and candy, and customers are greeted with colorfully decorated menus, emulating a little Italy.