No, Netflix isn’t the best streaming service

Graphic by Sophia Bella
In my ranking of the best streaming services on the market, I concluded that Max provided the best combination of variety, quality and affordability for viewers.

Netflix’s approximately 274 million subscribers each spend an average of 3.2 hours per day watching shows and movies according to Backlinko, a site that studies search engine optimization. But does popularity and name recognition correspond to quality of service? In my opinion, Netflix lags behind the other two popular streaming services, Max and Hulu, but its offerings outrank Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video. Read on for my comprehensive ranking of the five streaming services.

#1: Max

Max (formerly HBO Max before WarnerMedia merged with Discovery) provides shows and movies like no other. Max holds over 2,000 movies and 1,300 TV shows. For teenagers who enjoy more graphic and gruesome content, Max fits the bill, with hit shows like  “Game of Thrones,” “The Last of Us” and “Euphoria.” 

Max is also a great service for any sports lover. From March Madness to Major League Baseball, Max streams live games for most sports. It also includes live news as well, including CNN and other crime series and documentaries.  

Although Max’s price may not be affordable to many — the ad-free plan for two devices starts at $15.99 —it is the best option for those who only want to pay for one streaming service. Due to the incredible and seemingly endless options, Max will likely fulfill all of one’s entertainment wants, from sports and news to thrillers and romances.

#2: Hulu

Hulu narrowly beats out Netflix for the runner-up spot in my streaming services hierarchy. While it is true that Netflix has more than double the titles — Hulu has 2,500, while Netflix offers over 5,000 — Hulu prioritizes new and trendy content. For hit reality shows, including “The Kardashians,”  “The Bachelorette,” “Shark Tank” and “The Masked Singer” — in other words, for the constant drama — Hulu is the place to go.

Thus, although my all-time favorite comfort shows are on Netflix, I often gravitate towards Hulu. When spending time with friends, I typically don’t watch my favorite shows; instead, I want to try a new dystopian movie or entertaining show — usually on Hulu. Starting with a price of $7.99 a month for the ad-supported plan and $17.99 a month for the no-ads plan, Hulu also offers a special student plan for only $1.99 a month (ad-supported). 

#3: Netflix 

There’s no denying that Netflix is a top-tier streaming service. With hundreds of millions of subscribers, the service also continues to release new originals, including the latest show featuring Adam Sandler and his daughters and wife titled “You’re so Not Invited to my Bat Mitzvah.” 

But while some of my favorite shows, including “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Breaking Bad” stream through Netflix, Netflix tends to discontinue many all-time favorites. “The Vampire Diaries,” a teen drama series based on a book series, was removed from Netflix in September 2022 due to licensing expiration. This cycle of comfort entertainment getting removed from Netflix has upset me, as well as many others, causing many to change their subscriptions to other streaming services. 

Although some maintain subscriptions to several streaming services, not everyone can justify paying numerous monthly fees just to watch a few different shows a week. Unfortunately, Netflix is one of the priciest streaming services, as plans start at $15.49 per month, with an additional $7.99 for extra family members. 

To be frank, I think Netflix peaked years ago and has begun to stagnate. However, I still rely on Netflix because some of my favorite shows are exclusive to the platform. If those shows were removed, I don’t think I would ever pay for Netflix. 

#4: Disney+

As someone who has never watched — and has no interest in seeing — the cartoon version of Cinderella or Star Wars, Disney+ just doesn’t spark my interest. 

From childhood classics like “The Princess and the Frog” and “Schoolhouse Rock!” to new hits including “Hamilton” featuring Lin-Manuel Miranda, Disney + main draw is that it provides a variety of shows and movies exclusive to the Disney catalog. Specifically, the catalog offers all Disney classics in high quality video, so you can enjoy movies like Pinnochio, first released in 1940, enhanced with the benefits of modern technology. 

At $7.99 a month for ad-supported subscription, or $10.99 a month ad-free tier, Disney+ is a bargain for anyone who enjoys Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars and other Disney properties. Although these movies and shows may be a comfort for some people, the variety of Disney and Pixar entertainment isn’t something I want to watch with my friends on a Friday night. 

#5: Amazon Prime Video

Prime Video is at the bottom of my streaming last service rankings because of its renting policy and the types of content it provides. 

For those who pay $14.99 a month for an Amazon Prime subscription, the inclusion of Video and Music is just a free added benefit. But for non-Prime members, Prime Video costs $8.99 a month, and only provides access to select movies and shows for free — any others must be rented for additional costs. Although in theory Prime Video has a large variety of options to choose from, as someone who doesn’t use Amazon, I don’t think the limited availability of the $8.99 plan is worth your money.

With originals including “The Summer I Turned Pretty” and “Beautiful Boy,” Prime presents entertainment relevant for teens; however, there isn’t enough to attract me to open the app when given the chance.