Badminton dominates Capuchino for crucial league victory

Audrey Wei
Senior captain Jayden Ma prepares to serve to his opponent on Thursday, March 21.

Perhaps fueled by the echoing cheers and celebrations resonating through the gym, the co-ed badminton team soared to victory on Thursday, March 21, clinching a 20-10 triumph over Capuchino High School. 

Whether it was doubles, mixed, or singles, the Panthers dominated the courts en route to their win.

From the onset, it was evident that the Panthers were determined to leave their mark on the match. With each serve and smash, they showcased their agility, strategy, and perseverance.

In girls’ singles, senior Clara Zhong and sophomore Ellie Liu demonstrated great composure in moments of pressure. 

“I really was struggling in the first game. Something about how [my opponent] played just stumped [me],” Zhong said. “But I’d say after I talked to the [coaches], I moved into the right headspace and I brought it back in the second game. I feel like I continued using the advice that helped me and we went a lot better.”

On the freshmen boys’ singles side, Kingsley Kong left a lasting impression with his intense performance. Although his teammate, senior captain Jayden Ma, faced a disheartening loss, Ma maintains an optimistic outlook on his play, viewing the defeat as a crucial learning opportunity for upcoming matches.

“I could’ve done better, and more practice of being more consistent,” Ma said. “Improve my singles play, where I place the birds and my shot. For strategy, [thinking] ahead and what shot I’m going to play first. And also, just continuing being like a good team captain.”

Coach Sal Banquiles expressed pride in the team’s performance, emphasizing the importance of regular attendance at practices to sustain their progress.

“It’s really intense because everybody’s improving. Some of my players train before [the season] with me. It’s really hard for me just like waiting for spring break to train. So I keep on telling them to go to practice after the season,” Banquiles said.

When asked about his favorite highlight from the match, Banquiles pointed out a certain solid doubles duo — sophomore Brandon Mark and freshman Brandon Lin, who worked together and exceeded expectations. 

“Of course, the boys’ doubles it was really close. You can see the score is intense. It’s really good the boys’ [doubles won],” Banquiles said.

Mark and Lin delivered a remarkable display of teamwork as doubles partners, showcasing their exceptional chemistry and skill on the court.

Currently sitting in a comfortable fourth place in the Peninsula Athletic League Bay with a 3-3 league record, the Panthers will look to use their future league matchups to improve their record and qualify for the postseason. 

“We did pretty good as a team, everyone worked hard. I mean, because we only had two days of practice. It’s pretty good results for just two days of practice,” Ma said. 

The badminton squad will try to continue building momentum when they take on Carlmont High School on Tuesday, March 26.