Topgolf: Coming to a city near you

Photo courtesy of Kevin Gardiner
The Burlingame Topgolf structure is still undergoing construction and will not be available to the public until September 2024.

Construction on a new Topgolf location near Murray Field – the second in the Bay Area is set to finish at the end of this year, offering a golf entertainment complex for serious players and casual enthusiasts alike. 

The first discussions regarding the structure’s implementation started as early as 2016 when the 13-acre fill site became available and was zoned for recreational use. Burlingame Mayor Donna Colson was keen on finding something financially viable to help sustain the hotel and tourism industry on the bayfront. The opening of this entertainment facility will likely bring many new visitors to Burlingame, especially on weekends.

“Before COVID, Burlingame’s transient occupancy tax was about 30 million, but it dropped to five during the mindset of the pandemic and the budget took a 35% hit because hotels were no longer in use,” Colson said. “This facility will help hotels, drive up economic development, and bring tourism. Topgolf’s rent starts at $1.5 million a year, so economically the lease was really important to help diversify city revenue.”

Colson anticipates the construction, which began in 2023, will end around September 2024 and the site will open to the public soon thereafter. 

Another upside of Topgolf’s arrival is the diversity it will bring to the city’s entertainment. 

“Younger families, people under 50 are looking for entertainment in Burlingame because almost nothing is open past nine at night,” Colson said. “This is a good opportunity for people to have events and have fun with something on the bayfront, away from the downtown so it won’t disturb anyone, but also providing a new opportunity for residents to enjoy without having to travel to San Francisco or San Jose.” 

Additionally, during negotiations, the city ensured that Burlingame golf teams would be able to practice at the facility during their high school season. Boys varsity golf coach Jon Ramirez believes that this change is a positive one for the Burlingame golf team.

“Hopefully there will be openings for high schools to use facilities after school and before five o’clock work hour ends,” Ramirez said.

But Ramirez also sees the value of the facility for the broader community, not just his high school golfers.

“This opportunity will make the golf community more inclusive,” Ramirez said. “People that don’t want to spend 2-5 hours a day [on]the golf course can go and have fun and fall in love with the sport. This brings a different aspect to hitting golf balls with targets and games.”

Although construction is yet to be finished, Topgolf is set to bring many new benefits and opportunities to the community.

“If this whole project is operable for around 20-40 years it will bring the city $20-80 million and around 250 potential jobs to the area which is really amazing,” Colson said.