“To All the Boys: Always and Forever” was a solid ending to the series

Photo courtesy of NBC News

The bittersweet ending to the Covey-Kavinsky love story was released on Feb. 12, 2021.

Allison Szetu, Design Editor

The “To All The Boys” movie series has not only gotten its teen audience eagerly waiting for each movie, but also adults and entire families. The lovable couple Lara Jean Covey (Lana Condor) and Peter Kavinsky (Noah Centineo) had fans surprised by their realistic portrayal of a sweet high school relationship. The series has consistently received high ratings on Rotten Tomatoes, with the first movie scoring a rating of 96%.

The final movie of the series, “To All The Boys: Always and Forever,” was released on Netflix on Feb. 12, 2021. When Lara Jean gets rejected from Stanford and Peter is accepted, the couple’s plans to attend the same school together are ruined. Lara Jean then finds herself at a crossroads, feeling as though she must choose between her relationship and NYU, where she was accepted. There seems to be a running theme across all teen rom-coms, in which college threatens to separate couples, and this movie was no different in this cliche. 

Because the plot is filled with overdone cliches and tropes such as a fake relationship, a love triangle and college decisions, the plot was not what keeps fans interested in each movie. Instead, it was the chemistry between Lara Jean and Peter. Throughout the series, the audience witnesses the growth of both characters and the development of their relationship, as they grow closer by opening up about their family issues and end up healing one another. “To All The Boys: Always and Forever” continues to deliver the warmth and sweetness of their relationship. The beginning of the movie is filled with light-hearted scenes of the couple such as Peter opening souvenirs from Lara Jean’s visit to Korea, sharing skincare tips and eating pancakes late at night. As the movie continues, the lighthearted nature of their relationship remains consistent even as they face the uncertainty of a long-distance relationship. While their love story is not as epic as “The Notebook,” it is a realistic teenage love story. 

Director Michael Fimognari made thoughtful, detail-oriented cinematographic decisions to highlight  the recurring theme of scrapbooking and memories. For example, on their visit to Seoul, the Covey sisters dine at Greem Café, a popular Korean cafe known for their paper/2D and black and white aesthetic, making it seem like the people inside the cafe are a part of a paper-like world. This sketchbook aesthetic is consistent throughout the movie in various dreams or flashbacks, allowing the Fimognari to make the film seem like a collection of memories from previous films. It allows the watcher to recognize and appreciate the leads’ relationship and sends the message that although the series is ending, Lara Jean and Peter have left many memorable moments behind for us to enjoy. While subtle, the sketchbook theme is the foundation of the bittersweet and nostalgic feeling of the final movie. 

Overall, “To All The Boys: Always and Forever” was a mildly good conclusion to the series, as it was reminiscent and consistent with the themes in the first few movies. If you have an hour and a half to kill, I’d recommend watching the movie.