Former BHS student heads to Fiji for a chance to win Survivor 33

December 7th UPDATE: Adam Klein is now one of eight remaining contestants on Survivor Millennials vs. Gen-X. Klein’s gameplay has been slightly subdued as of late, in an attempt to remain under the radar of other players. However, Klein has made many big moves in the game, such as saving his alliance member Hannah with his hidden immunity idol, and will likely continue to be a threat during the final stretch. Tune in tonight, December 7th at 8:00 P.M. for the next episode.

Adam Klein speaks at the watch party he held on November 9.  Photo by Lily Page. Adam Klein speaks at the watch party he held on November 9.  Photo by Lily Page.

Survivor is a CBS reality television show now running its 33rd season. The game tests contestants’ physical and mental stamina to “outwit, outplay, and outlast,” in order to become the sole survivor and win a $1 million prize. This season first aired on September 21, and divided the 20 contestants into two teams: Millennials vs. Generation X. The Millennial tribe consists of many intelligent and confident individuals. BHS alumnus, and Survivor 33 contestant, Adam Klein is no exception.

Klein is a Survivor super-fan. He has been watching the show since it first aired. His knowledge of the game is apparent in the early episodes. Klein is utilizing a skilled strategy, balancing his social game and physical contributions to his tribe, to advance his game. Surprisingly, Adam believes Survivor and high school share some similarities.

Like high school, Klein said on Survivor, “…you have to find the right people who will love you for who you are and stand by your side, even when things get rough.”

During his time at BHS, Klein was Student Body President for three years, Relay for Life Chair, Homecoming King, and Valedictorian. After high school, he studied International Relations and Spanish at Stanford University. Klein has not slowed down since.

Klein is the Senior Manager of a San Francisco homeless shelter: LifeMoves, and it is easy to see he loves this line of work.

“I know that the work I do on a daily basis helps improve the lives of local individuals and families working to overcome homelessness and return to permanent housing and self sufficiency,” Klein said, later adding, “It’s incredibly rewarding to know that the work you do is directly helping people bounce back from challenging circumstances.”

On Klein’s profile on the Survivor website, he described his mother, Susie Klein, as his biggest inspiration for the game of Survivor. Susie Klein passed away earlier this year after 9 month battle with lung cancer.

Klein said, “Besides being my best friend, my mom was the healthiest person I knew. Never smoked, worked out every day, ate totally organic, the list goes on.”

He has set up a fundraising campaign, Susie Klein Memorial Fund for a Cure, which has already raised over $28,000 for cancer research.

Through this campaign, Klein encourages education and discussion about what he described as an, “underfunded and misunderstood disease.”

For more information about Susie Klein, or to make a donation, please visit  www.youcaring.com/SusieKlein.

Like Klein, BHS senior Tyler VanderLey has been watching Survivor since he was ten years old. Although VanderLey does not wish to be on Survivor (he aspires to be on Big Brother someday) he has watched enough of both shows to have a good idea of what it takes to win Survivor.

VanderLey said it’s important to be relatable, likeable, and “establish good social relationships. It’s important to know where you stand within your tribe.”

He is impressed by Klein’s early gameplay, and was excited to see him find a hidden immunity idol during the October 12 episode. VanderLey is interested to see how Adam positions himself in the game going forward.

“Just getting on Survivor was a total dream come true,” Klein said.

As an active member of the BHS community and beyond, Klein notes Survivor as one of his greatest experiences yet; one that has been in the making since he was nine years old.