Fall Choir Concert

The Chamber Singers performed for the first time this year on October 4.

Samantha Johnstone, Managing Editor

Choirs from both Burlingame and San Mateo performed last Thursday, Oct. 4. The Burlingame High School Chorus is composed of three choirs; entry level Chorus, intermediate Concert Choir, and advanced Chamber Singers. The Chorus and Concert Choir from both schools performed six songs together. Solo songs from 13 choir members were performed as well. 

The highly skilled Chamber Singers, consisting of students from both schools, offers a unique experience that brings the rivaled high schools together. This year, the Chamber Singers have 19 members. They sang three Abba songs; “Waterloo”, “Mamma Mia” and “Dancing Queen.” The Chamber Singers will be singing in the pit during the musical, “Mamma Mia!” This prompted the fall concert to be 70’s themed, featuring songs from The Beatles, Queen, and of course, “Mamma Mia!” 

“I liked singing the “Mamma Mia!” songs because they were fun in general, but Bohemian Rhapsody was also cool, because it is different than what we normally do,”  Tabitha Wan from the Chamber Singers said. Although “Bohemian Rhapsody” is a highly challenging song, the choir nailed all five sections. From the acapella intro, to the ballad, opera, rock, and reflective coda the chorus executed it perfectly. In all, the choir concert was a success, as all members put on a spectacular performance. All three choirs from both Burlingame and San Mateo performed on stage together for the final song.

“Chorus grew this year, so our last song was a lot bigger than before” Wan said.  

The final song, a mashup of “We Shall Overcome” and “Lean on Me,” wrapped up the concert with showstopping vocals and exemplified unification leading to great outcomes. Upcoming choral performances include “Mamma Mia!” on Oct. 25, 26, 27, and Nov. 2 and 3. The choir will also be performing at The Little Big Game, on Nov. 9, and the winter concert on Dec. 5.

To view a small video from the performance, copy and paste: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4yR94MrK8Fd6mPA1A