An unexpected loss at CCS for boys soccer

Senior Slater Bolstad possesses the ball against Menlo-Atherton on senior night.

Allison Szetu, Design Editor

Burlingame boys soccer’s season came to an end when they lost their first game in CCS 0-1 against Wilcox High School. Their record was 8-3-1, an improvement from last year. They were extremely confident that they would win CCS this year due to their record, and this loss was a surprise to some of the players.  

“No, we did not expect to lose the first game. I think we could’ve gone farther,” varsity player Liam Galia said. 

However, this loss did not come to a shock to some of the other players. 

“We expected to do very well this season. However, with many injuries, it was getting harder and harder to win most games,” varsity player Andre Escobedo said. 

Although the team had one of the best records in the league, the constant injuries served as a roadblock to a better CCS run. With many of their best players, such as Javier Contreras and Ben Neuman injured for extended periods of time, the team constantly had to compensate for these positions.

Although the team may be discouraged after losing the first game of CCS, they are hopeful that next season will bring better results. 

“It’s always sad to lose and it’s always hard to bounce back, however, next year we’ll come back stronger,” Escobedo said.