Boys’ lacrosse gears up for the season

Jake Rothstein

Junior attacker Archer Grenier sprints forward with possession of the ball during the league opener against Menlo-Atherton.

Jake Rothstein, Managing Editor

Boys’ varsity lacrosse opened the season with a dominant non-league victory over Hillsdale High School on Feb. 24, winning 12-1. Entering the season on a strong note, the team holds high hopes for the future.

The varsity team is led by eight-year veteran coach Ryan Bolanos and assistant coach Garrett Lutz, along with senior co-captains Owen McCarthy and Jake Janosky, both long-time players.

“This is my last year,” McCarthy said. It’s going to be a good one, but I definitely want to connect with these guys — build a connection and execute.”

The Panthers faced off against Menlo-Atherton High School in their first league game on March 8. Missing five starting players, Burlingame fell to the Bears 15-2, making their overall record 1-3. 

“We had to change up our defense,” said Bolanos. “We went to a man [defense], and it worked for a portion of the game, but there’s a portion where it kind of fell apart.”

Instead of playing normal zone defense, which the team is used to, they were forced to adjust to a new defensive technique, ultimately leading to a loss for the Panthers. 

“We had to learn [man defense at] the start of the game. We kind of got the hang of it towards the end, and we only allowed one goal in the second half. I think we did learn and adapt to the man [defense], but it did hurt us in the start,” said junior Blake Sibley.

The team still has a long season ahead of them — a lot of time to improve.

“I think one of our main struggles that happens in a lot of our games is clearing the ball from defense to offense,” Sibley said. “We have a strong offense and a strong defense.”

After the loss, Bolanos still has a positive outlook on the season to come.

“I think it looks like the boys know that once the league starts, there’s no messing around,” Bolanos said. “It’s time to put our heads down. It’s time to work. It’s time to grind, and it’s time to work as a team.”