Boys’ volleyball prepares for the upcoming season

Arshia Chakravartti

Boys’ volleyball athletes participate in drills during a practice session on Feb. 25.

Arshia Chakravartti, Copy Editor

Boys’ volleyball is heading into their 2022 season looking strong. With the varsity and junior varsity teams and captains decided, players have gotten a taste of the team dynamic and had the opportunity to improve their skills. 

“I wasn’t one of the better players joining, and now, you know, I’m on varsity. So, I’ve progressed a lot personally,” sophomore Samuel Bender said. 

Head coach Lawrence Ngai noticed significant improvements in the team as a whole, but there is still more to do.

“It takes time. Players don’t kind of get it right away, but once they get it, they are really good,” Ngai said.

This season’s varsity captains include Jacob Ngai, Justin Guo and Gabe Santiago. The team dynamic has come together fairly quickly, and that is reflecting in their performance in practices so far. 

“We’re a stronger team as a whole. We know how to work together,” Bender said. 

Ngai, going on his third year of coaching the Burlingame volleyball team, reflected on the team’s performance in last year’s season as well as how he thinks the team will do this season.

“I feel good. Last year, we were in [Central Coast Section (CCS)],” Ngai said. 

The prior season, the boys’ made it to the CCS Division III playoffs and were ranked as the No. 10 seed. They faced off against No. 7 seed Pioneer High School in the first round and lost in three sets. 

Burlingame hopes to replicate their success of qualifying for CCS, and potentially make a further playoff run this season.