Animal Rights club promotes awareness through movie screening

Moya Liu, Business Manager

The Animal Rights club will be screening the movie “101 Dalmatians” on Dec. 8 in the alumni room in order to raise awareness for their cause.

The movie tells the story of a litter of dalmatian puppies who are kidnapped by the villainous Cruella de Vil, who wants to use their fur to make into coats. This Disney released movie does not only entertains audiences of all ages but preaches an important message about animal rights.

“101 Dalmatians will teach children compassion over cruelty,” sophomore Namiha Yasuda said.

The Animal Rights club concentrates on raising awareness and spreading compassion in the community for animal testing, and harsh conditions animal face in today’s environment. The club aims to inspire and educate others in order to develop awareness in food and consumer decision and encourage a cruelty-free lifestyle.

“I would say the encroachment on their [animal’s] habitat and the industrialization of the livestock business to be the biggest problems that animals face today” club adviser Heather Johnson said.

In order to raise awareness of these issues, the Animal Rights club has been collaborating with and volunteering at Sweet Farm, an animal sanctuary and vegetable farm in Half Moon Bay since August.

“The animals don’t deserve to be treated in the way humans are treating them right now,”  Yasuda said.

“This movie screening is meant to be a fun event for people in the community of all ages and an opportunity for our club to educate them about the  environmental effects of animals agriculture,” senior vice president Kaili Shan said. “Proceeds from this event will go towards Sweet Farm.”

In addition to the movie screening, the club also plans on visiting elementary and middle schools to spread awareness about sustainability and partnering up with other environmental clubs in joint fundraising projects.