Leadership hosts first ever International Food Night for Cultural Week

Abby Knight

Students and teachers make the environment lively at the event.

On Tuesday, April 4, Leadership’s Diversity and Inclusion Commission hosted the first-ever International Food Night in the main quad. The night aimed to celebrate students’ cultural backgrounds with cuisine from countries all around the world, including Mexico, China, Germany, Vietnam, Canada, Brazil, the Philippines and Korea.

Diversity and Inclusion decided to add the event to Cultural Week to connect the community through a shared emphasis on culture, tradition and food.

“We wanted to add this new event because a lot of people in leadership are familiar with an event like this from experiences that are in our previous schools, but also because we know how special food can be to everyone and how it is really special to our cultures and to our upbringing,” said junior Cora Haggarty, the Diversity and Inclusion Commision lead.

On the evening of Apr. 4, students gathered in the main quad to taste snacks, desserts and drinks from various cultures. Sophomore Katherinne Chieppe served two popular Brazilian dishes: pão de queijo, a type of cheese bread, and brigadeiro, a chocolate dessert.

“[This food has] been representing the Brazilian culture, my whole family’s Brazilian, and it’s a part of our culture, it’s just staples in the Brazilian community,” Chieppe said.

• Mexico was one of the countries represented at International Food Night. Quesadillas along with chips and guacamole were the main pieces at the table.

• Teachers set up booths at International Food Night.

• History teacher Jim Chin prepares Taiwanese tea to serve to students.

• Students walk around and try food and drinks from around the world.

Like other students who ran a booth, Chieppe served foods that represented important parts of her culture and everyday life.

“It’s important to me because usually you eat this with your friends and your family, and it’s also something that everyone helps make. So it’s like a family tradition, everyone goes and makes it together; you just eat it every day,” Chieppe said.

Chieppe enjoyed getting to see students enjoy Brazilian foods and running the booth with her friend.

“We’ve just been [running the booth] together, so it’s really fun,” Chieppe said. “I mean, it’s hard work, but I think it really paid off to see people enjoy our culture.”

Teachers and staff members also attended the event, taking advantage of the opportunity to learn more about their students’ cultures. History teacher Jim Chin set up a booth and served High Mountain Oolong tea and a type of classic black tea. 

“These teas kind of reflect where I’m from. I’m from Taiwan, and it’s one of Taiwan’s premier, higher-quality teas,” Chin said. 

Chin believes that events such as these are important in celebrating diversity and culture throughout communities. 

“I love the idea of celebrating different cultures in a non-nationalistic way. I’m a history teacher, so you know, ethnic nationalism always worries me a little bit,” Chin said. “But this kind of nationalism, we just celebrate culture and the spirit. Everyone can get behind really, really tasty food.”