Girls’ golf sets high bar in season opener

Senior+Sarah+Ott+lines+up+her+shot+on+the+final+hole+of+the+Fleming+9+Course+in+San+Francisco+on+Wednesday%2C+Sept.+6.+
Arshia Chakravartti
Senior Sarah Ott lines up her shot on the final hole of the Fleming 9 Course in San Francisco on Wednesday, Sept. 6.

Girls’ golf set a tone in their season opener against Capuchino High School on Wednesday, Sept. 6, fighting off the Mustangs for a 207-184 victory.

“I’m really pleased with them. They’ve done everything we’ve asked them to do, kept their head, nice pace of play,” coach Michelle Riley said. 

Some factors, though, were out of the Panthers’ control. Because a slow team held up the course, the pace of the match was unpredictable.

“We were stuck behind a group that started late. So, there were people kind of crowding us from the back,” Riley said. “The girls kept their composure which was fabulous.” 

The resulting long pauses between shots and abrupt stops on each hole can disrupt the flow of the game and make it easy to lose concentration. 

“Golf is such a mental game, that it can be very challenging where there are like three people backed up behind you waiting for you, or you’re waiting really long,” Riley said. 

Despite the unexpected timing challenges, the players still performed well. 

“I think I did pretty good. I feel like while I was playing, I feel like I didn’t play great, but adding up I guess I did.” senior and star player Ellie Dowd said. 

Dowd, who was Burlingame’s top performer last season, finished off the match with the best score, carding a 40. Dowd’s final putt on the ninth hole, for a 39, missed by mere inches.

Senior Sarah Ott, who ended up shooting 46, recovered well from a rough start that she attributed to nerves. As she grows more comfortable on the course, Ott hopes to make the most of her senior season.

“My personal goal for the season, I think, is to definitely try and lower my handicap,” Ott said.

Overall, the season opener was a strong testament to the team’s upward trajectory.

“Just seeing how much they have improved from last year to this year just makes it fun,” Riley said. 

With a win under their belt, the Panthers are feeling confident about the rest of the season.

“I think we have a pretty good shot of winning all of our matches,” Dowd said.