Boys’ water polo continues dominant season with victory over Half Moon Bay

Jeannine Chiang
Sophomore Adrian Gong looks around the pool for a teammate to pass to during the Half Moon Bay game on Thursday, Oct. 12.

Varsity boys’ water polo (7-1 Peninsula Athletic League Ocean Division) has been racking up wins all season long. The squad’s matchup against Half Moon Bay High School on Thursday, Oct. 12 was no exception, as the Panthers won their seventh league contest 12-7.  

Despite a multitude of challenges entering the season, including a new coach and an inexperienced roster, Burlingame sits comfortably in first place in their league, ahead of Woodside Priory High School and San Mateo High School. The relatively young squad has been an advantage rather than a disadvantage, offering the team a needed boost of energy. 

The Panthers set the tone right from the first play during Thursday’s game. Freshman Justin Chiang won the 15-yard sprint for the ball to begin the game, before providing a pass to sophomore Adrian Gong, who scored the first goal of the match. 

While Burlingame kept the pressure on offensively with numerous precise passes and strong shots, their goal production slowed down, and the teams found themselves tied 6-6 at halftime. 

Coming out of the second half, however, the Panthers stole the momentum. Burlingame effectively moved the ball around the pool, opening up shot opportunities. The offense didn’t miss them, as the Panthers pulled ahead to gain a comfortable lead. Sophomores Matthew Derossett and Gong were crucial offensively, especially in the second half push, scoring a combined total of eight goals. 

“Everyone was just a team player, and it was just really flowing out there today,” Derossett said.

• Freshman Lucas Carlson prepares to draw a foul for a free 5-meter shot.

• Freshman Justin Chiang drives the ball on offense.

• Sophomore Adrian Gong plays strong defense against the Cougars.

• Freshman Lucas Carlson gains possession of the ball after drawing a foul against Half Moon Bay.

• Junior Bobby Kendall blocks an attempted goal from Half Moon Bay.

Their offensive success translated to focus defensively. Freshman Lucas Carlson and Chiang led the charge on defense with numerous steals, shot blocks and turnovers, keeping Half Moon Bay to just one goal in the second half. 

“We got some really nice shots, and the defense was on point in the second half,” Chiang said.

During the last two minutes of the game, junior Rocco Brajenovic scored the final goal to seal the victory for Burlingame. 

In an impressive comeback from last season, the Panthers are in a great position to claim the league title and make a successful run in the Central Coast Section playoffs. However, it’s been the team support and camaraderie that has them most excited about the development of the program beyond this year. 

“We had some really good chemistry out there. We all gave our best efforts, and that’s what really counts,” said Derossett.