San Francisco’s annual Halloween Art and Oddities Market brings spooky spirit out early

Brinda Iyer
Attendee Jenny Jewels examines the eerie, sharp-toothed stuffed animal creations of vendor Matt Forristal.

The Menagerie’s Halloween Art and Oddities Market had something spooky for everyone, whether that was unconventional performances, tarot card readings, taxidermied stuffed animals or Halloween-themed weddings.

Held on the weekend of Oct. 14 and 15, this year marked the Alameda-based market’s first appearance in San Francisco.

“The experience is so eclectic and so different than anything that you would expect,” attendee Jenny Jewels said. “You’ll find so many unique things that you won’t find anywhere else, and to me, it’s just a magical experience.”

Jewels has been attending the market since it first opened over five years ago, and also attended the Menagerie’s Winchester Mystery House last Christmas. Jewels noted that every year, the market returns bigger and better than before.

Sporting a tall, horned headdress and elaborate black gown, Jewels was the victor of the event’s costume contest.

“It’s fun because I can outwardly express myself through my costume, but I can also support local vendors,” Jewels said. “[We] help them out and they’re helping me by providing the beautiful decor and things like that.”

Attendee Sei Ward shared this sentiment, saying that the vendors were the highlight of the experience.

“It makes me feel better because if my money is going to be spent I’d rather it go to individuals than big corporations,” Ward said.

• A vendor sits at her booth selling creepy stickers, keychains and dolls.

• Attendee Jenny Jewels (center) celebrates her costume contest victory.

Amongst the market’s unorthodox offerings were intricate headdresses handmade by vendor Amanda Kiernan. Kiernan’s career started eight years ago in a costume shop, where she began making mermaid crowns. Kiernan discovered that she loved creating headpieces with horns and bones, and expanded her business to include more mythical creatures. After five years of working with the Menagerie, fellow vendors have become like family, Kiernan said.

“I love when people come to my booth and are trying stuff on,” Kiernan said. “It’s very magical to watch them transform and become the creature that they feel like they are.”

Another vendor was Oakland resident Matt Forristal, who sells stuffed animals with sharp, taxidermied or handcrafted teeth glued into them. Forristal has been in the business since the late 1990s and decided to pursue it full-time two years ago. Forristal loves the Menagerie’s all-inclusive atmosphere and has connected with people over common spooky interests.

“People coming in here are weirdos,” Forristal said. “Deep, dark souls. These are my people, my tribe. It’s good, especially for vendors who do stuff a little darker.”

For vendor Layil Umbralux, the art market is an opportunity to reach a niche audience, people who will appreciate the darker side of art. Umbralux attended art school and has turned selling her drawings and paintings into a full-time job. This year was Umbralux’s second year with the Menagerie.

“It’s a good way for me to find fans and fellows in a community of people who like the same sort of aesthetics,” Umbralux said. “It’s been a home to me for a long time, so I’m happy to make art.”

The market also featured brief performances from members of the Renegade Circus, a circus group that started performing street shows for neighbors during the pandemic. Circus member Deaja Mkhallati has experimented with everything from fire dancing and pouring wax on herself to her current endeavor, bullwhip tricks. This is her third year with the Menagerie, and she looks forward to many more.

“[The market] really touches down on my little kid heart and it feels really good to see everyone enjoying themselves,” Mkhallati said. “It’s very playful energy, and we’re all a bunch of misfits together as a community.”

This sentiment was shared by attendee Bebe Simola. A friend of Jewels’, this was Simola’s first time at the market, and the welcoming atmosphere contributed to an enjoyable first experience.

“I really love dressing up but it feels weird if you’re the only one,” Simola said. “It really means a lot to me to be in a space where I can just be my full weird, queer self and it doesn’t feel like it’s such a big deal.”