Girls’ water polo falls to Carlmont in final league game

Sophia Doss
Junior goalie Kelcey Flenniken prepares to block a shot against a Carlmont attacker.

Girls’ water polo ended its season against Carlmont High School on Thursday, Oct. 19, falling 17-7 in a hard-fought match. Despite a difficult season, the squad displayed great sportsmanship and unity, developing skills in the water while forming lasting relationships on the deck.

“I think we had a really great team bond. Everyone on the team is really sweet and it’s such a positive environment to play in,” co-captain and senior Stella Wettan said.

From the start, the Panthers faced obstacles. While most varsity squads are largely composed of seniors and veterans, Wettan was the only returning player on this year’s roster. Head coach Ernesto Nuñez believed the lack of experience was a challenge, but said their youth could be an asset for the program in the coming years. 

“The team is young, so there’s time to rebuild,” Nuñez said. 

Despite these struggles, there were some highlights on Thursday against the Scots. Sophomores Aria Sheerwood and Charlotte Guglielmi and junior Audrey Flagg all had strong performances.

Nuñez also attributes their loss to lack of aggression, while the Panthers scored more goals against Carlmont than they did last game, their gameplay lacked the energy and confidence they had last time.

“I was expecting us to play a lot tougher than we did the first game against them,” Nuñez said. 

Even with a somewhat disappointing season, the team still has plenty to be proud of and look forward to. The team’s young talent and strong chemistry will serve them  well over the next couple seasons, and a Central Coast Section appearance is not out of the question.

“Next season I want girls to focus on keeping their composure and keeping their heads in the game, you want to play a good game from start to finish while also reminding yourself to keep your head up,” Nuñez said.