Girls’ golf successful season cut short

Photo courtesy of Michelle Riley
Burlingame athletes Sarah Ott, Sophia Jasmer, Noor Hafezi and Ellie Dowd pose for a group photo after competing at the Peninsula Athletic League championship on Oct. 24.

Girls’ varsity golf (7-9) sent four athletes to compete in the PAL (Peninsula Athletic League) championship on Tuesday, Oct. 24. Seniors Ellie Dowd, Sarah Ott and Noor Hafezi, along with junior Sophia Jasmer, represented Burlingame in the playoff, held at the Poplar Creek Golf Course in San Mateo.

The Panther’s fought hard to continue through to the Central Coast Section competition. But, were unable to place in the top 10 qualifying spots.  While the Panthers fought for individual placings in the top 10 spots

Although their postseason campaign was cut short, the athletes reflected positively on the experience. 

“I had a lot of fun and although I didn’t really play as well as I wanted to, still a great experience being out there.” said Dowd, who shot 102 on Tuesday.. 

While 102 isn’t Dowd’s best overall score, her consistency this season — and over her four years at Burlingame — should not be overlooked. Throughout the season, Dowd has been the frontrunner for the Burlingame lineup, shooting the lowest score in nearly every league match. 

“I’m very proud of how I played this season. And I think it was a very fun, good time.” Dowd said. 

Ott scored lowest out of the Panthers, carding a 97. Ott’s performance has improved throughout the season, and her play in the competition caps off a solid year. 

“With the amount that I was playing over the course of this season, it all just kind of played out to, you know, doing really well in the finals, which felt great.” Ott said. 

The main challenge that the Panthers faced was their endurance, both mentally and physically. Because the competition was 18 holes, rather than the shorter nine holes that many athletes are used to playing during the league season, stamina and mental strength was hard to maintain throughout the long day.

“Being out there for five and a half hours because we have to play slow too…it was just a lot, mentally.” Dowd said. 

While golf is largely a mental game, physical endurance plays a big role in sustaining a high level of performance.

“Just like keeping your energy up and like not running out of energy, halfway through the match,” Jasmer said. 

Now that the season has officially come to a close, the Panthers reflect on the improvement the team has made. 

“We’ve won almost all our matches. Everyone’s gotten a lot better since when they started, and I think we’re really coming together as a team.” Jasmer said. 

The team closed off the season with a second place finish in the league, with only two losses. This top placing puts high expectations for the 2024-2025 season. 

Those returning next season, including Jasmer, will now focus on progressing over the off-season and producing even better results come next year.