Girls’ soccer exhibits resilience despite their loss against Redwood

Joelle Huysmans
Junior Emma Daly searches for a player to pass the ball to as she dribbles past a forward from Redwood High School.

Girls’ varsity soccer (2-1) fell short in a 1-0 loss to Redwood High School in their opening game of the Firebird Classic on Thursday, Nov. 30. 

Although they did not walk away with a victory, the team played outstandingly and their performance left spectators with very high hopes for the remainder of the season. 

“Today was definitely a test for us,” said senior Kaylee Ng. “It was a good way for us to see where we stand in terms of level and what we need to improve on. I think from here, it can only get better and we are looking pretty good for our season.”

The  first and only goal of the day came in just 10 minutes. The undefeated Giants boasted a strong offensive attack, forcing senior goalkeeper Alyssa Smith to make numerous saves. But they had one too many opportunities, splitting Burlingame defenders and putting the ball in the net to take a 1-0 lead.

As the game progressed, the Panthers tried their best to regain offensive momentum. In the second half, players looked to establish possession on offense, as junior Charlotte Hughes and freshman Hannah Goldberg aimed strategic and powerful, but unsuccessful, shots towards the goal. 

Many would consider the last few minutes of the game to be the most critical ones, and luckily, those moments were when the Panthers earned multiple corner kicks. But in the end, the Panthers were unable to convert the chances into goals.

Smith was a major reason why the game remained so close. During both the first and second half, she made impressive saves that prevented Redwood from extending its lead. 

“Our keepers are very strong. I mean, Alyssa made some crazy saves today,” Ng said. “We definitely would’ve lost by more than 1-0 if it weren’t for her saves so we owe a lot of our success at today’s game to her.”

• Sophomore Gaelle Foy and senior Kaylee Ng share a hug to congratulate one another on their performance at the game.

• Minutes before the game ends, junior Ella Wang aims a shot towards the goal, hoping to tie up the match.

• Girls’ soccer prepare to give their chant moments before their game against Redwood High School.

• Senior Abi Scully runs to retrieve the ball from a Redwood High School player.

Not only were the Panthers playing against challenging opponents, they were also faced with their own obstacles. Both sophomore Sophia Mausehund and senior Abi Scully were battling injuries and were forced to leave the playing field midway through.

Luckily, Ng was able to help compensate for their absences, moving from midfield to outside back after the Giants scored their first goal. 

“Our strength today was being able to adjust,” head coach Andrew Flaherty said. “We had a couple of players who were not feeling it so it was really helpful to have somebody like Kaylee stepping in and doing a great job playing in their position.”

Although the Panthers’ ability to come up with strategic solutions in the face of injuries will be critical throughout the season, perhaps the team’s greatest asset is their chemistry. Over the time they have spent together on and off the field, players have started to view themselves more like friends than teammates. 

“I always look forward to high school soccer season so much,” said Ng. “We have such amazing team chemistry which means we play really well together. When I’m making a run, [my teammates] already know exactly where I’m going because we can read each other so well.”