Boys soccer dominates Mills, continues hot start

Senior+Altai+Ordubadi+dribbles+past+a+Mills+High+School+defender+en+route+to+their+7-0+win.+
Henry Gardner
Senior Altai Ordubadi dribbles past a Mills High School defender en route to their 7-0 win.

Coming into the season, expectations were low for boys’ soccer. The loss of 15 varsity players was supposed to strike a devastating blow to the program.

But this year’s team shoved those expectations out the window. Following shutout wins against Capuchino High School and Saint Ignatius College Preparatory, the Panthers dominated Mills High School 7-0 on Thursday, Dec. 7. Given their hot start to the season, hopes are now high for a league title and a potential CCS (Central Coast Section) playoff run. 

In addition, the Panthers have a short-term goal in mind: a victory in the Sunnyvale tournament where they are facing tough competition, including teams in the top high school soccer league in the Bay Area, the Western Catholic Athletic League. Victories against Los Altos High School and an upset win against St. Ignatius put Burlingame in position. Despite a 2-1 loss to St. Francis on Saturday, the odds have landed in the Panther’s favor as they have an opportunity to win the tournament with a title game rematch next Saturday, Dec. 16.  

“Obviously [Saint Francis] are in the WCAL, which is considered the best league, so it’s gonna be a tough match for us but I’m confident in my guys and we’re gonna give them a good game and try and beat them,” head coach Anthony Dimech said.  

Varsity Soccer huddles up before their game against Mills High School on Dec. 7.

This year’s team has players from all grades, including multiple sophomores, and even a freshman. 

“We got four or five seniors, three or four returning players, and then everyone else is new,” Dimech said. “We’re bringing seniors, juniors, sophomores and a freshman up here. It’s been fun and exciting to see these guys grow into a team.”

Despite the gaps in experience and age, the good results have bonded the team into a tight-knit group. 

“I feel like it’s very friendly,” sophomore Dax Mytels said. “Everyone’s very supportive, but still pushing each other and so it’s very competitive.” 

Looking forward to the rest of the season, hopes are high that the good form will continue. The squad believes as the year progresses, they have the potential to bring home a league title, and earn a CCS championship bid. 

“We’re just gonna keep working hard, keep playing every game like it’s the hardest we’ll ever play,” Mytels said. “We’re gonna keep going forward.”