Boys’ volleyball dominates Mills in league opener

Junior+Lucas+Stuart+awaits+the+whistle+to+serve+during+a+match+against+Mills+High+School+on+March+15.+
Arshia Chakravartti
Junior Lucas Stuart awaits the whistle to serve during a match against Mills High School on March 15.

Varsity boys’ volleyball (6-1) opened league play with a resounding victory in three swift sets (25-15, 25-13, 25-14) against Mills High School on Friday, March 15, setting the tone for their division schedule ahead. 

The Panthers, who have a well-seasoned lineup this year, showcased their strength as a team throughout the match. 

“They played very well. We did the things that I wanted them to do and the responses were good, very positive, in terms of how we run our plays,” head coach Lawrence Ngai said. 

The team gained a healthy lead to start the first set, with dominant kills from sophomore Fabian Falconett and junior co-captain Reiter Madden keeping the Vikings at bay. 

“I feel like I’ve done a pretty good job of being a stable player on the court. No matter what team we’re playing against, like making sure I’m maintaining my level of volleyball and making sure that our team is maintaining a high level of volleyball,” Madden said. 

It was clear early on that the squad had developed a strong defensive line. Blocks at the net paired with quick and targeted digs to keep the ball in play helped the team fend off the offensive attacks from Mills. 

Ngai credited specific initiatives he took in the preseason to help prepare the team for their success in the match. 

“Creating different defenses that can help blocking and digging and working with the team’s communication, those are very important,” Ngai said. 

So far in the season, the leadership from the three co-captains, Madden and seniors Erazem Mattick and Leo Beringer, has proved to be a pivotal aspect of Burlingame’s improvement and competitive spirit.

“I think that the leadership is good. Most importantly, I think they all play a role…they are able to be leaders on [the] court and be able to defend us if we need to with the referees and officials,” Ngai said. 

The group has had to stay together through constant roster transitions. This year, call-ups from the junior varsity team and two new freshmen have changed the dynamic, but have also forced the squad to grow closer on the court.

“It was good to get some more new guys out there and get them playing [with] the more experienced players so we get a rhythm going,” Mattick said. 

With a solid win to begin Peninsula Athletic League Bay play under their belt, the team will now focus on their ultimate goal — making it to the postseason. Before that, however, the Panthers hope to keep the momentum going throughout the rest of league play.

“I definitely want to have a better overall score from last year…and also maybe compete in [Central Coast Section],” Madden said.