Softball drops league contest to Aragon

Junior+Giana+Johnson+swings+in+the+varsity+softball+game+against+Aragon+High+School+on+Tuesday%2C+April+9.+
Brendan Gilmore
Junior Giana Johnson swings in the varsity softball game against Aragon High School on Tuesday, April 9.

Girls’ varsity softball (6-7 overall, 1-4 Peninsula Athletic League Bay) lost to Aragon High School in a 7-2 blowout on Tuesday, April 9.  The loss was Burlingame’s third straight and fifth in their last six games. 

The Panthers currently sit in sixth place in the PAL Bay league standings, not far behind their opponent on Tuesday, the Dons. The Panthers have struggled against Aragon in previous seasons, beating them just once in the last two seasons. This season’s matchup was no different, as the Dons posed a challenge for Burlingame from the first pitch. However, other unfortunate breaks also held the Panthers back and made getting their second league win considerably harder. Senior Shayna Young did not play due to injury, and senior Tatiana Moraga suffered an injury at the top of the first inning. 

Despite the Panthers’ defensive efforts, the Dons scored in the first inning. Burlingame looked to respond in the bottom half when junior Giana Johnson walked before stealing second base.  However, a strikeout ended the scoring opportunity. Despite an early deficit, the Panthers performed well offensively with multiple hits, including a two-run home run by senior Olivia Fleming, scoring the Panther’s sole runs of the game in the sixth inning. But the Panthers failed to capitalize on other chances, stranding Sienna Fuss on first base after a walk. 

Besides offense, the Panthers held firm in their defensive efforts until the sixth inning, where Aragon scored multiple runs to extend their lead. Some notable defensive players in this game were Fleming and senior Keira Parker, who made multiple notable defense plays, including a pair of stellar catches to keep the game close. 

The team’s main takeaway from the contest was clear — they needed to improve mental strength out on the field. The squad believes increased energy will translate to more success, with hopes of progress before the playoffs.

“I’m looking forward to showing that we are a good team and we [do] have talent,” Parker said. “And I really just want to showcase that I want to prove to the league and prove to myself and ourselves that we are good and we can compete.” 

The next day, on Wednesday, April 10, the Panthers competed against Half Moon Bay and won 7-1, a much-improved score after the disappointing outcome against Aragon. Following this victory, the Panthers lost 7-6 to the San Mateo Bearcats in a close game on Thursday, April 11. 

Reflecting on the game, head coach Albert Del Rosso thought the team could still work on hitting and their overall offensive output.

“We ended to start squaring more balls. We’re pressing a little bit at the plate,” Del Rosso said.