Volleyball Improves Despite Initial Losses

The average American family spends $919 to send their child to prom.

David Mehran, Staff Reporter

Boys volleyball began its first ever season with scrimmages against San Mateo, Palo Alto, Abraham Lincoln, Galileo and BASIS Independent.

The team lost to Palo Alto (3-0), Abraham Lincoln (3-0) and Galileo (3-0). They won their first scrimmage against BASIS Independent  (3-1).

“It was a tough game. We started out slow, but we got it together. We worked as hard as we could,” junior Brendan Healy said, citing the team’s win against Basis Independent.

Despite initial losses, the team is picking up momentum and improving both individually and tactically, learning to play all positions on the court.

“For our first season at BHS I think we’re doing really well … we’re really progressing. I’m proud of my teammates,” sophomore Ned Sigler said.

The team has great offensive capabilities and is now working on improving its response to spikes from the attack line.

As the first-ever boys volleyball team at Burlingame, the team is comprised mostly of players without any previous volleyball experience but has nonetheless progressed immensely, with all players gaining knowledge of the game and cooperation. Most recently the team competed in the Leland High Charger Classic Invitational Tournament, winning one out of four matches.