ODFL to do charity work in Nepal

David Mehran, Staff Reporter

This summer, the Burlingame One Dollar For Life (ODFL) club will send four students to do service work in Nepal. The club plans to utilize funds from events such as the dollar drive and the international food fair to help build a library and an assembly area at the Chuna Devi and Seti Devi schools in the Nepalese communities of Pharphing and Nagarkot.

“I applied [for the trip] as soon as the application came out, and I set up a meeting for outreach to let other families know about it,” junior and club vice president Talia Friedman said. “We’re going for two-and-a-half weeks so we’ll also do some sightseeing, but mostly it’ll be work every day.”

ODFL emphasizes making the largest impact possible on all of their trips. The club hopes to create a permanent effect on the lives of the people in the communities they visit by financing and personally building infrastructure, as compared to just making monetary donations. Fundraising events that ODFL conducts during the year are crucial to funding the projects.

“We have events such as the dollar drive throughout the year,” junior and club treasurer Brett Kuwahara said. “[The money] goes to schools or libraries, mainly to help underprivileged children.”

Originally created at Los Altos High School, ODFL is on a mission to get as many people as possible involved in the construction of infrastructure in developing countries.