Baseball hits their way through the season

Hubert Chen

Senior Noah Larkin throws a pitch during the varsity game against Hillsdale on April 30.

Hubert Chen, Senior Reporter

Well into their 2021 season, the Burlingame varsity, JV and freshman baseball teams boast a record of 8-4, 8-4 and 5-3 respectively. 

The varsity team started the season comfortably winning against Terra Nova High School, San Mateo High School, Mills High School and El Camino High School, but then quickly moved into tougher competition.

“[We] kind of went directly into playing against WCAL [West Catholic Athletic League] teams which are really good,” senior Noah Larkin, varsity pitcher, said. “I think we reacted well to it and showed that we’re a good team.”

Throughout the season, Larkin’s pitching has been a highlight for the varsity team.

“I’ve had a few games that I didn’t do what I wanted to do,” Larkin said. “But overall I’ve felt pretty good about my performances and kind of keeping our team in the game.”

Similarly, the JV team’s strong record was not left to chance. Starting off the season with a loss against Hillsdale, the JV team worked hard to bring their record up to 8-3.

“Personally I think I had a little bit of a rough start,” sophomore Aiden Alfers, pitcher and member of the JV team, said. “As the season continued I think I’ve improved and got back into a rhythm and I’ve been hitting a lot better and I think my pitching has been pretty solid.”

As the season continues, players are thankful for the opportunity to be able to escape the confines of lockdown and compete in a sport they love.

“Especially this year … a lot of kids signed up for baseball,” Alfers said. “They kind of knew that it would be a way to still connect with the school and still connect with other students.”

With the end of the season still over a month away, the teams are already optimistic about their future. 

“There are so many guys who are juniors and even sophomores who are going to come up next year and who are going to be great team leaders and great baseball players,” Larkin said. “Definitely we’ll be fine when the senior class leaves.”

*Correction: An earlier version of the story was incorrect, and has since been revised.