Backhaus makes its Burlingame debut

Sophia Doss
Customers line up early in the morning to try Burlingame Backhaus’ pastries.

Although Backhaus’s brick-and-mortar location in Burlingame opened just a month ago, the bakery is not new to the town. After selling at the Burlingame Farmers Market, Backhaus owners Anne and Robert Moser opened up the first Backhaus flagship store in downtown San Mateo in 2019. The store was a Bay Area-wide success, with lines out the door almost every morning. Hoping to expand their popularity, the partners opened their Burlingame location in November — and it’s already a big hit.

Both Backhaus’ name and baking philosophy take inspiration from Anne Moser’s home country of Germany, so the breads and pastries don’t taste like your average baked good.

Upon entry,I was  overwhelmed by the wide array of baked goods displayed. From pastries like croissants, scones and turnovers to a variety of breads and pretzels, the options are endless. The Burlingame expansion has also introduced a new brunch menu, featuring a breakfast sandwich, french toast and a yogurt bowl! 

On Sunday, Dec. 3, I visited Backhaus’s Burlingame location for the first time. I tried the Everything Croissant Bowl, Banana Chocolate Croissant and the Breakfast Sandwich. Here are my thoughts on each.

The Everything Croissant Bowl

The Everything Croissant Bowl was not your average croissant. It has a crispy finish to the outside and a savory cream cheese filling in the middle. The croissant-based outside tasted exactly how I thought it would — delicious. However, I didn’t love the filling as I thought the cream cheese and croissant were an odd pairing and didn’t mix well together. The taste of the filling mixed with the rest of the pastry was unexpected and not in the best way, but I wouldn’t discourage anyone from trying it if you’re in the mood for a savory pastry.

Sophia Doss

The Banana Chocolate Croissant

I definitely preferred the Banana Chocolate croissant over its savory sibling. This item wasn’t on the San Mateo menu, so this was my first time trying it. It was cut in half like a sandwich and filled with melted chocolate chips and banana pieces. This croissant exceeded my expectations, and I highly recommend it.

Sophia Doss

The Breakfast Sandwich

This breakfast sandwich was nothing out of the ordinary composed of a brioche bun, sausage patty, gouda and egg. On paper, the ingredients complemented each other perfectly. However, upon the first bite, nothing stood out to me except the overpowering salty taste, which surprised me and not in the best way. Despite this, if you’re looking for a traditional sandwich to start off your morning, this would be it.

Sophia Doss

The store gets bonus points for its calming atmosphere and minimalist interior design. It is also a great place to get schoolwork done. Backhaus has a unique cafe experience in comparison to those already open on Burlingame Ave, and although the prices are a bit steep, I highly recommend you check it out. If you order a croissant, I promise you won’t be disappointed.